Thursday, October 8, 2009

Where has the time gone?

Is it just me or is time flying by in October? I had every intention of updating earlier this week and before I knew it the week is almost over!

Last week we wrapped our investigations of stream tables. This week we are moving on to the world of maps, specially topographic maps. Yesterday we put together foam mountains, then created our own topographic maps from the pieces. Next week we will work with profiles and figuring out the paths we'd like to take on various mountains using topographic maps (personally, I'll be trying to find the less steep routes!).

We are in the third week of our lengthy salmon study. By the end of November our class will have produced 8 fantastic graphic novels describing the life cycle of various salmon species. The first chapters about the egg stage are marvelous. I can't wait to see the end results.

Our memoir study will wrap up next week. We will be sharing our stories and reflecting on the process of writing about a single moment of our lives. All the memoirs I have read thus far have been great. I love reading about special moments in your student's life.

Today we decided to mix things up and enjoy the beautiful weather outside by playing kickball with Mrs. Sims' class. We had a great time playing with a class we don't get to see much.

We had a fantastic week and I'm looking forward to the week ahead!