For a short week we sure managed to get a lot done!
Our book groups have come to an end. Each group has written a skit that will be performed in just a short while (I'll post pictures of these skits later). Overall, the book groups were a success. Almost all group members stayed on track and finished the book by the final meeting. Discussions about the books grew through the course of the four-week groups. I can't wait to see how the next round of book clubs work out.
We are wrapping up our Explorers study as well. This afternoon the European explorers Verrazano, Cortes, Pizarro, Coronado, and Cartier will encounter five Native American groups. We, the explorers, will share our side of the stories while the Mrs. Dawkin's class, the Native Americans, will share their stories. It should be an interesting experience to see how different two sides of the same encounter can be!
Our character writing is really coming along. We have finished part one, in which the basics of the character were created (name, family, hobbies, friends, etc). Now we are digging deeper into what lies beyond the surface characteristics of our newly formed characters. I am truly blown away by the quality and detail in the work so far. Students are really stepping up to this task! We will have all four parts completed and compiled for a mini-celebration on the 18th of December.
I hope everyone has a great slightly longer than usual weekend! I look forward to seeing everyone rested on Monday.